Thursday, May 24, 2012

Broadcast TV networks, Dish Network file lawsuits over new Auto Hop ad skipping feature

Broadcast TV networks, Dish Network file lawsuits over new Auto Hop ad skipping feature

Dish Network shocked us just a couple of weeks ago by upgrading its new Hopper DVRs with "Auto Hop" ad skipping that targeted prime time programming on broadcast TV captured via its PrimeTime Anytime feature, and predictably, the networks aren't happy. After several executives took shots at the service during upfronts for the new fall programming in the past few weeks, Fox has filed suit in US District Court, while Dish Network responded with its own request for a court order specifying that it does not infringe on the TV network's copyrights.

Engadget, Broadcast TV networks, Dish Network file lawsuits over new Auto Hop ad skipping feature

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I had to press the Fast Forward button on my DVR remote multiple times before timing the release perfectly, so I didn’t miss any part of the show. Now I don’t have to worry about that at all with Auto Hop on the Hopper. I work for Dish and can say that Auto Hop is really no different than the skip or fast forward button, other than you have to press it a lot less times. The day after my primetime shows air I have the option to watch or to skip commercials using Auto Hop. I’m extremely happy about this great new feature, now my family and I can save a ton of time not watching commercials.

    ReplyDelete